This project will be a device that fits inside a cup holder of a car. It calculates the speed of the driver’s vehicle and sends a message to the person in charge in the form of SMS whenever the car’s speed exceeds the speed limit and sends the location of the car at that time. It will also feature a form of geofencing, where there will be speed restricted zones (near schools, hospitals, etc), where the speed limit will be significantly less.
- Car’s speed is calculated by a GPS module
- Maximum speed is set depending on the area in which the driver is in
- A seven segment displays the maximum speed limit
- When the driver’s speed exceeds the limit, LED blinks and a SMS message is sent to another user
- An ATmega328 Arduino Unoboard as the micro-controller
- A gps module (Venus638)
- A GSM module
How the project will function:
- The GPS sends a signal to the microcontroller that contains the time and coordinates (in latitude and longitude).
- The microcontroller calculates the speed by comparing the current coordinates with the previous data. It will then compare the calculated speed with the speed limit set on the zone in which the driver is in.
- If the speed is higher than the limit, the microcontroller will start logging the data (maybe at a rate of 0.1Hz), until the driver’s speed becomes lower than the limit.
- The microcontroller will send a signal to the GSM module that consists of the starting time in which the limit was passed, duration, maximum velocity, average velocity and the location to the person in charge of the driver.
This project is made by Ali Alsharakhat