School Fab Lab sat down with Michal Ashkenazy, Science Chairperson at Fontbonne Hall Academy, a college preparatory school for young women in Brooklyn, New York to discuss some of the issues faced by teachers during this current pandemic. What were the hurdles they encountered and the solutions they implemented to address distance learning for their students? How having a School Fab Lab on campus allowed Fontbonne to pursue student projects that have helped their community during these challenging times. See how Fontbonne stepped up and used the Pandemic to not only provide students with new methods of learning, but got them involved in projects to build face shields for the healthcare community and improve on an ergonomic “no touch” tool to minimize germ exchange.
Distance Learning Tips from Fontbonne:
- Deployed Google Meet for teachers and students using Google Classroom with Chrome Book
- Oral assessments to ensure integrity
- Concept maps as a visual means to increase student understanding
- Project Based Learning (PBL) was found to be more engaging for the students
- Combine projects with community service
Thank you Fontbonne!